SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (2024)

Weberlamp

Knows what a fatty is.
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Location
Virginia...
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #1

Me and my buddy cooked out first SRF Black brisket yesterday. It was 12.36lbs untrimmed, and we trimmed very little prior to cooking. Simple rub of Salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Brisket cruised for the first 6 hours up to 155-160, We wrapped in butcher paper, but after that it stalled for a long long time. It slowly worked its way up to 168, after 14 hour total cook time. When I probed with my thermapen it was not nearly as tender as i wanted. I cranked the heat to 260 for another 2 hours and finally pulled it at 178 internal temp, after 16 hours. The flavor was spot on, but the tenderness was not there, there was moisture in the meat but it lacked the melt in your mouth texture and consistency that I have tasted when eating other SRF briskets.

Has any one seen this type of stall before?
Should I cook my SRF's briskets at a higher temp?
Should I expect my cook time to be longer due to the higher amount of
inter muscular fast

I am cooking on a WSM 18.5, with royal oak lump, and pecan chunks. Temp was set to 235 and did not moved at all the entire cook, (thank you Digi Q).

I plan on getting another SRF but want to learn from this experience, thanks in advance.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (3)
SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (4)

Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Location
Shrevepo...
Name or Nickame
Mike
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #2

I too run an 18.5 WSM. I do not even look at the dome temp thermometer while smoking.

To make a long story short. It's done when it's done and every piece of meat is different to probe tender.

On edit, get that Digi Q probe inside the one inch ring of fire around the edge.

C

cjtiger300

Knows what a fatty is.
Joined
Sep 25, 2014
Location
West...
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #3

Sounds like it needs to go longer. It happens sometimes, especially if you don't wrap the brisket at some point. I use butcher paper once I get the bark the way I want it. Generally this is between 160 to 170.

Weberlamp

Knows what a fatty is.
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Location
Virginia...
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #4

Thanks Toast, i agree, dome temp on the WSM is worthless, I had the air probe for the Digi Q directly under the brisket, I agree that each brisket is done when its done, but 16 just seems like a really long time, to still not be done.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (7)
SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (8)

Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Location
Shrevepo...
Name or Nickame
Mike
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #5

Weberlamp said:

Thanks Toast, i agree, dome temp on the WSM is worthless, I had the air probe for the Digi Q directly under the brisket, I agree that each brisket is done when its done, but 16 just seems like a really long time, to still not be done.

It always takes me approx 2-3 hours longer than the weight of the meat for me to hit probe tender and that's with trimming the hard fat knuckle out but leaving the fat cap when I was smoking @ 250*F. Now I run 275*F and only add about an hour on average.

K

krex1010

is Blowin Smoke!
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Location
pa
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #6

When running sub 250 temps, the stall can be quite long. Nothing wrong with that but it usually can take from 1.5-2 hrs a pound at the lower temps. The butcher paper helps a bit but I don't think it helps power through a stall like foil does....not that I'm overly fond of foil but if I was running out of time I'd go foil, the tight seal lets the steam work on the meat more than paper.

D

Demosthenes9

is One Chatty Farker
Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Location
Louisville
  • Mar 27, 2016
  • #7

You're brisket was under cooked. Higher fat content in the brisket actually leads to them being done in a shorter amount of time and at a lower finish IT.

As Krex said, sub 250 temps make for long stalls. You can wait it out, wrap in foil, or increase chamber temp to power through.

T

Texan79423

Take a breath!
Joined
May 21, 2014
Location
Lubbock, TX
  • Mar 28, 2016
  • #8

I agree. On my big pit I do briskets low at 225-250. The stall can last forever, and ever. Cooking low and slow I have had probe tender between 185-195 Buy a choice brisket and cook at 275 to 195-205 next time.

Your result may vary

B

Burnt at Both Endz

Babbling Farker
Joined
Jul 14, 2013
Location
freeman,mo
Name or Nickame
Calvin
  • Mar 28, 2016
  • #9

Welcome to the mystic of cooking brisket as if there was a recipe for perfection that depended on time. As one learns the art of cooking brisket, he tends to forget time/temp and rely on his feeling instincts....only then will he understand why the best cooks tell you,"it's not done till it's done".

srfannella

Knows what a fatty is.
Joined
Jan 16, 2014
Location
Boise...
  • Mar 29, 2016
  • #10

I've actually had this happen to me once when cooking one of our Gold Briskets. I was cooking on a pellet cooker at 250. Almost every brisket I've ever cooked takes the exact same time.. I put them on fat side down at 250. - I pull at around 170 to wrap (approx 5 hours). Put it back on until it hits between 197 (but sometimes up to 210 if not tender) - this is about another 3-4 hours. I then wrap it in blankets/towels, pop it in a cooler and let it rest for 3 hours.

So about 12 hours from start to finish. The only time I've had to go longer is when it stalled out. I wrapped it, and cranked up the heat. I don't usually add anything when I wrap but added some stock as I was cranking up the heat.

Not sure this helps, but for the most part they cook pretty close to any choice or prime brisket I've cooked. You just have to watch them a little closer and play with the cook time.

Good Luck!

newtwoq

is one Smokin' Farker
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Location
Richmond...
  • Mar 29, 2016
  • #11

As a bit of small clarification. We do fairly well with choice briskets in roughly the same weight range. We know how to cook them and don't go by time, we go by feel and probe tenderness, we have that part down.

The question was more coming from the step up to SRF and this one being completely different than anything we had been used to before and we are trying to figure out if it was just this one SRF or if this is how SRF cook.

We greatly appreciate all the responses and we will be putting them to use on the next ones we cook!

newtwoq

is one Smokin' Farker
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Location
Richmond...
  • Mar 29, 2016
  • #12

srfannella said:

I've actually had this happen to me once when cooking one of our Gold Briskets. I was cooking on a pellet cooker at 250. Almost every brisket I've ever cooked takes the exact same time.. I put them on fat side down at 250. - I pull at around 170 to wrap (approx 5 hours). Put it back on until it hits between 197 (but sometimes up to 210 if not tender) - this is about another 3-4 hours. I then wrap it in blankets/towels, pop it in a cooler and let it rest for 3 hours.

So about 12 hours from start to finish. The only time I've had to go longer is when it stalled out. I wrapped it, and cranked up the heat. I don't usually add anything when I wrap but added some stock as I was cranking up the heat.

Not sure this helps, but for the most part they cook pretty close to any choice or prime brisket I've cooked. You just have to watch them a little closer and play with the cook time.

Good Luck!

Annella,

Thank you for adding to the conversation! As I noted above, we were expecting similar to how we normally cook briskets and this one just threw us for a loop, it stalled for over 5 hours by the time we pulled it, which to us was absolutely crazy!

The tenderness wasn't as bad as Weberlamp described in my opinion. It passed the bend test, flopping over my finger just like I would want to see. The pull test was a bit more tug than I wanted to see, but not by much, and the juice was there! I will say it had an incredible flavor and so much different than choice cuts!

Looking forward to more practice with SRF products!

newtwoq

is one Smokin' Farker
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Location
Richmond...
  • Mar 29, 2016
  • #13

Some Pron!

SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (13)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (14)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (15)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (16)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (17)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (18)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (19)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (20)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (21)


SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (22)

srfannella

Knows what a fatty is.
Joined
Jan 16, 2014
Location
Boise...
  • Mar 29, 2016
  • #14

newtwoq said:

Annella,

Thank you for adding to the conversation! As I noted above, we were expecting similar to how we normally cook briskets and this one just threw us for a loop, it stalled for over 5 hours by the time we pulled it, which to us was absolutely crazy!

The tenderness wasn't as bad as Weberlamp described in my opinion. It passed the bend test, flopping over my finger just like I would want to see. The pull test was a bit more tug than I wanted to see, but not by much, and the juice was there! I will say it had an incredible flavor and so much different than choice cuts!

Looking forward to more practice with SRF products!

I hear ya, the first time mine stalled out I was like What the Eff? I had to call for backup and get help with what to do. It ended up turning out fantastic!

Good luck out there and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to let us know!

You must log in or register to reply here.

SRF Brisket ccooking confusion (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Zonia Mosciski DO

Last Updated:

Views: 5719

Rating: 4 / 5 (71 voted)

Reviews: 86% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Zonia Mosciski DO

Birthday: 1996-05-16

Address: Suite 228 919 Deana Ford, Lake Meridithberg, NE 60017-4257

Phone: +2613987384138

Job: Chief Retail Officer

Hobby: Tai chi, Dowsing, Poi, Letterboxing, Watching movies, Video gaming, Singing

Introduction: My name is Zonia Mosciski DO, I am a enchanting, joyous, lovely, successful, hilarious, tender, outstanding person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.